Author Topic: Black Walnut Hull  (Read 26150 times)

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
Re: Black Walnut Hull
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 03:19:11 PM »
yeah, I just squirt some tincture in a little cup, add water, and swish. I have bought a mouthwash I really like that had Xyletol and Black Walnut in it (it was clear), but don't want to keep spending on it, so I just do the BWH.

Dara, do you notice any improvement with problems in mouth/on teeth, like what was listed? does it actually work? I was considering using it as a mouthwash too, but that probably wouldn't be strong enough to "heal" an already existing problem like cavaties or cracks. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know!

VM

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 04:42:56 AM »
If anyone with black walnut trees readily available is interested, NOW is the time to pick them in order to make NOCCINO.  But I'll warn you!  Even thought the walnuts are green, you sure want to wear grubbies when collecting and cutting them ... even maybe gloves.  I bet you I'll have brown hands for a week, now!  :P ::) And my shirt and pants have now joined the "mommy" clothes - nicely brown speckled, now.  ;D

Here is the recipe:

For Nocino:
In a large, gallon sized glass jar put:
  39 quartered, young black walnuts (soft shell so you can cut them)
  A couple of cinnamon sticks
  1 Liter of Grain Alcohol
Let stand for 30 - 40 days.  It will turn nice and black.

After the 30-40 days, strain out the liquid and mix with sugar water (depends on how sweet you want it.  I would recommend anywhere from 1:4 to 1:3, sugar:water)
You want to mix it to 80-100 proof (40-50% Alcohol)

Now, Dad also told me the recipe for the yummy Basil liquor he makes:

Use ~50 fresh basil leaves per qt (or ltr) of grain alcohol
Let soak for 9 days, or up to 14 days.
Strain out.
Mix with sugar water of (desired sweetness) to 80-100 proof. 

This is REALLY yummy, and probably good for something that ails you!

At this time of the year, unfortunately, the walnuts are too ripe (at least here in PA), but the basil is PERFECT!!!

I hadn't referred to this recipe til now  :-\ so I didn't use the "proper" amounts - only 650 ml of alcohol and I don't know how many blk wlnts.  Enough so that the alcohol was covering them.  I put it all in a 5 lb honey jar. 

Happy Noccino making!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline HerbGirl29

• Learning
    • Nebraska Heritage Turkeys
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »
So... After reading this I still can't figure out if you're supposed to use the green hask or the brown (really hard) hull for medicinal uses.  Is there different uses for both or should you only use one?  Thanks for any answers! :) 
~HG~
"People often miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"  Thomas Edison

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 02:23:14 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to know the answer to that one too. After mowing two lawns spotted with hard (and later squishy) black walnuts, I would love to find an useful way to process this nut. Also, several years ago my mom had us kids pick up walnuts using those LaTeX gloves made for washing dishes with. They worked wonderful as you could tuck your  long sleved shirts into them. I still have fun memories of picking those nuts off the ground...thinking we had picked them all up and laughing when we still looked like we were driving through pot holes while mowing, and watching those stinker squirrels plant their beloved treasures knowing I would eather find them later while mowing or squishing through my old tennis shoes when walking. Brown was definitely the "in" shoe color while we lived at the farm! ;)

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 03:36:56 PM »
You use the whole walnuts in the green husks.  The tincture is dark green when it's done.  They have to be perfect, no rotten spots.  Don't do anything to them at all.  Put them in a glass bowl or jar (I used a mason jar and fit about 5 walnuts inside), cover with alcohol, cover and let it sit 3 days.  I am using this as a dewormer for my animals and plan to do a parasite cleanse myself in the near future.  This was the first tincture I've ever made, and it was VERY easy :)  I found the instructions on CureZone.
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »
Has anyone ever tried black walnut tree leaves for medicinal purposes?

If so did it help with anything?

What form did you use the leaves in? Tea? Tincture?

I come upon some brief info on using the leaves for health reasons but I don't know any  more info.

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2007, 05:02:09 PM »

I come upon some brief info on using the leaves for health reasons but I don't know any  more info.

I saw BWH tincture at the store and made my own.  I use it to calm the Poison Oak I am dealing with.  It is also a anti-parasite tincture but I haven't figured out proportions. We bought a tincture last year and I would use the BWH for that.  Look on the labels of the stuff in the stores for ideas on amounts to take.  Why do you want to only use the leaves?  The walnuts are so much easier to get off the ground ;)

Lovin'

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:55 AM »

I used the wilted leaves to make a mouthwash.  (Tincture)  Since BW is good for your mouth and the finished product sure tasted like BW, I'm assuming it works!!  :D

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »
Here's a story that my Dad told me about black walnuts.  He found a stray dog when he was a kid.  It was really in bad shape and had the mange.  An old indian (possibly 'the' old indian ;) ) saw him with his dog and told him to go gather some of the black walnut hulls (the old dried ones) and boil them down, then spread them on his dog.  He and Nanny collected the hulls and boiled them down, and spread it all over his dog.  He said it was black and tarlike, and looked nasty for several days, but the dog's skin healed up and the hair grew back in.

I had forgotten that story until I saw this thread. ;)
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2008, 10:01:14 AM »
Can black walnut hull be eaten?

Im not talking about in a tincture or whatever. I mean like eating it like we would eat a fruit or something.

Offline fairflowers

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2008, 02:44:40 PM »
 :o
I suppose you could, but I don't think it would be very tasty.

Black Walnut Hull is very high in tannins, therefore, bitter.
It would probably turn your teeth brown, too. 
 :o

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
http://www.curezone.com/diseases/parasites/herbalcure1.html
It is the green hull surrounding the nut of the black walnut tree that has this miraculous parasiticide. After it has turned black, it is useless. The large green balls fall to the ground early in the fall. In a week or two they will be black and decaying. Therefore, anyone wishing to make parasiticide must be careful not to let the critical time for harvesting pass. I encourage everyone to make their own parasiticides and to take back the responsibility for keeping themselves and their families free of these tiny monsters. The recipe for Black Walnut Hull Tincture (extra strength) is given in Recipes (page 503).

page 543 The Cure For All Diseases (ISBN 1-890035-01-7)
Black Walnut Hull Tincture

This new recipe is four times as strong as the previous one, so it is called Black Walnut Hull Tincture Extra Strength.

• Your largest enamel or ceramic (not stainless steel, not aluminum) cooking pot,
  • Preferably at least 10 quarts Black Walnuts, in the hull, each one still at least 50% green, enough to fill the pot to the top
  • Grain alcohol, about 50% strength, enough to cover the walnuts
  • 1/2 tsp. vitamin C
  • Plastic wrap or cellophane
  • Glass jars or bottles

The black walnut tree produces large green balls in the fall. The walnut is inside, but we will use the whole ball, uncracked, since the active ingredient is in the green outer hull.

Rinse the walnuts carefully, put them in the pot, and cover them with alcohol. Sprinkle on half the vitamin C. Seal with plastic wrap and cover. Let sit for three days. Pour into glass jars or bottles, discarding walnuts, and divide the remaining vitamin C amongst the jars. If the glass jar has a metal lid, first put plastic wrap over the top before screwing on the lid. Potency is strong for several years if unopened, even if it darkens.

Here is a link to her Regular Parasite Program:
http://www.drhuldaclark.org/therapy_parasite.asp
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 02:46:57 PM »
okay LeahIL ,how do you use this as a horse dewormer?
and, anyone else, how do you use this as a mouth rinse? Just dilute it in water and rinse?I assume you aren't using it full strength. Maybe you could put peppermint oil in it to give you "minty fresh breath!" 
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2008, 05:32:08 AM »
I don't know if this is the best method for using it in the mouth or not, but after brushing my teeth I just put a drop or two of the tincture on my wet toothbrush and use that to brush my teeth at the gum line. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:30 AM »
and, anyone else, how do you use this as a mouth rinse? Just dilute it in water and rinse?I assume you aren't using it full strength. Maybe you could put peppermint oil in it to give you "minty fresh breath!" 

I use my mouthwash full strength.  Just a wee little bit all swished around.  You can either spit it out.  Or, if you're brave and daring, you can swallow for added health benefit! 

As far as adding peppermint oil, I think you'd need a LOT to cover that taste up!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 08:32:18 AM »

I would take MUCH heed before using anything walnut as a HORSE dewormer.  I don't know for sure about black walnuts, but regular walnut wood is incredibly poisonous to horses.  Dh used to work in his dad's family run cabinet shop; they also had horses.  They would put the sawdust from the shop in the horses stalls.  However, they were always meticulously cautious with their sawdust when using walnut - it was always kept FAR from the horses!

Also, my mind is failing me, but I seem to recall hearing that it is unwise to keep a horse in a pasture with access to black walnuts, for the same reason.  I may be wrong on that point.

In any event, double check before giving anything walnut to your horse!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »
Um...so, I'm pretty sure I need a parasite cleanse, and black walnut seems to be a common ingredient in the ones I've read about.  We even have trees in our yard, so it would be worm killing on the cheap.  But, I'm allergic to tree nuts, so I can't actually eat walnuts.  Does anyone know if a person allergic to tree nuts could tolerate a tincture made from the black walnut husks?
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2008, 01:25:00 AM »

I do it by weight of the animal.  i don't have horses though, just goats and chickens.  I will try to find my weight chart, but you can google it too.  Let me find a link to my instructions and I'll post it.
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2008, 01:45:07 AM »
Here are the instructions I used:

http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=613529#i

Still looking for the dosage...I have too many "favorites" saved on my computer ::)
Leah

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2008, 01:56:35 AM »
This is a link to Hulda Clark's book Cure for All Cancers.  It has a section on parasite cleanses for pets that is very detailed.  I didn't get this detailed with my animals.  I made the tincture from the black walnuts in my yard and just experimented a little with my animals.  I didn't use cloves or wormwood last year which is recommended.  AND I don't even know if it was effective, we still lost a kid this year to something, maybe not worms though.  So please, don't take my word for anything LOL  I am so new at this.  And I know nothing about horses, it might not even be safe for a horse so please find out for sure!  Here's the link:

http://www.solarwarrior.co.uk/cancers.htm
Leah

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2008, 04:08:28 AM »
Um...so, I'm pretty sure I need a parasite cleanse, and black walnut seems to be a common ingredient in the ones I've read about.  We even have trees in our yard, so it would be worm killing on the cheap.  But, I'm allergic to tree nuts, so I can't actually eat walnuts.  Does anyone know if a person allergic to tree nuts could tolerate a tincture made from the black walnut husks?
I've read that it should be okay to ingest the hulls.  I would Google and look for more backup and be careful when you try it, just in case.

http://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1145658
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2008, 02:15:30 AM »
I've read that it should be okay to ingest the hulls.  I would Google and look for more backup and be careful when you try it, just in case.

http://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1145658
Another thing to consider, if you have allergies, is whether or not you are allergic to iodine -- as the Black Walnut Hull Tincture is a natural source of iodine.

On the black walnut thread, SC posted a recipe by Hulda Clark.  It says it only takes 3 days to make black walnut hull tincture by using the whole, green walnut.  This just doesn't seem to be long enough based on the "3 week" standard I see everywhere else.

Anyone have any thoughts, experience with this?

Here's what I found:
I had 20 green-hulled black walnuts in a glass jar with 1.75 liters of 190 proof (95% alcohol by volume  :o) grain alcohol, and some vitamin C.
The jar looked similar to the large jar in this image:
Initially, the liquid was clear. By the second day, the alcohol and the hulls had turned an opaque, dark color. I let it sit for the required 3 days, but lacking smaller amber jars and unwilling to expose it to oxygen, I let it continue to sit into the 4th day . . .

When I checked it late in the day, I found out why it may not be a good thing to let a jar packed with these things sit longer. The hulls were swelling and starting to rise above the liquid. Unwilling to lose any of the tincture into the hulls, I did a hasty harvest into some mason jars and stored them in a dark corner of the pantry -- after adding 1/2 distilled water to the liquid, bringing it down to 100 proof (50% alcohol by volume. The liquid in volume appears to be a DARK brown, but as I poured it, the color is actually a very rich green. I ended up with a gallon of the Extra Strength Black Walnut Tincture, plus another quart.
At this site:
http://drclarkia.com/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=60
I found that 8 ounces of this tincture cost $53, an unharvested gallon jar with the walnuts still inside runs $199. This means that for about $30, I've been able to make my own product that has a value of about $530 (5 quarts, harvested).

Not a bad return, I think.

Not one to waste anything, Duke is now using the spent hulls as firestarter . . .
He's using them outdoors as they have a tendency to explode when they hit the flames.  ;D

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2008, 09:27:52 AM »
 I am doing a tincture (with fresh nuts that are still very hard) and leaves.  I just packed fresh leaves in between the spaces of the nuts.  It's really pretty, but it's been in vodka for a week, and it's still not dark colored like yours.  Maybe the vodka isn't strong enough, or the nuts aren't 'ripe' yet.  They were very hard when I picked them.

Any suggestions for me?  Did I bungle this batch?  ???
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2008, 12:58:27 PM »
I am doing a tincture (with fresh nuts that are still very hard) and leaves.  I just packed fresh leaves in between the spaces of the nuts.  It's really pretty, but it's been in vodka for a week, and it's still not dark colored like yours.  Maybe the vodka isn't strong enough, or the nuts aren't 'ripe' yet.  They were very hard when I picked them.

Any suggestions for me?  Did I bungle this batch?  ???

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,109.msg202085.html#msg202085
This tincture doesn't use leaves, stems, etc. But the nut IN THE HULL -- still green. :)

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
I've been making a batch of this also and have let the green hull walnuts sit for 8 days and it is very green in color. I'll strain it tomorrow. I used vodka 50% alcohol. Do I dilute this? I also want to take a small amount and tincture mint leaves with it to see if I could get mint flavored mouthrinse. We'll see if it works...
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2008, 03:49:58 PM »

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,109.msg202085.html#msg202085
This tincture doesn't use leaves, stems, etc. But the nut IN THE HULL -- still green. :)

I am doing in the hull, still green.  What I'm unsure about is if the nuts are unready to be picked...how can you tell if a green nut is ripe ???

I just added the leaves because they take up space and have some of the same properties...I figured it wouldn't hurt.  ;D  I'm not especially rigid about recipes (remember my Kombucha butchering ways?  ;D )

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2008, 06:26:04 PM »
The nut is ready for harvest when the hull (with the nut inside) falls from the tree. The hull appears green. If you are interested in the actual nut, hulling, drying and  harvesting, here is a link from Iowa State University Department of Agriculture:
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1994/9-16-1994/bnut.html

Regarding the alcohol and utilizing other various methods, etc.
I followed Hulda Clark's recommendation to use grain alcohol.
She recommended 50% strength which is 100 proof.
Since I utilized a stronger brew (100% strength 197 proof), I diluted it with distilled water, which she recommends.

I'm sure there are any number of variations that can be utilized. However, since what I used, worked well enough for me, I'll leave the experimentation to others.  ;) :)

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »
   OK, so the walnuts are falling off the tree now, making me think of making some of this nasty stuff  ;D ::). I read in here that the walnuts need to be absolutely green, with no spots. Here's my questions along that line:

1. Why?
2. Even if they have a little, teeny, tiney spot?
3. Is climbing up a tree, acting like a nut, and then getting yourself canned an option?  :D ;)
3. Seriously, if it is so important, is picking the nut off the tree an option?

Almost all that I saw had some brown on it. We've moved since the time we lived out in the country, so I don't have an abundance to choose from like we used to.

Any answers will be gladly read by me!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2008, 02:05:03 AM »
In reply #41, SC says this:

# Preferably at least 10 quarts Black Walnuts, in the hull, each one still at least 50% green, enough to fill the pot to the top.

Apparently it shouldn't be a problem if they have some black on them.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."