Author Topic: How do I get rid of mites in the barn?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
How do I get rid of mites in the barn?
« on: July 27, 2007, 03:37:48 PM »
If this is the wrong place to post - I apologize.  We recently ripped down the shingles off of our barn, the same day we got a new pony, and the weather got suddenly hot and sticky, and we noticed three new batches of baby barn swallows in the barn (usually only get one a year).  I preface with all this info because now I am inundated with mites.  They are as small as a grain of pepper and look like walking freckles.  If any of us even goout to the barn to feed the horses or attempt to pick up any of the shingles,etc.  Forget it! Hundreds begin crawling all over you.  This began on Tuesday the 24th.  All I have read is to vacuum them up, but seriously! I am having to keep the kids indoors and bathe them repeatedly and that is nearly impossible with 3 rowdy boys and a nice weather day on the farm.  I keep vacuuming furniture and mattresses and that helps a bit indoors but I would really like to pick up the shingle mess outside without having the creepy crawlys all over me.  I got so fed up today I was ready to list the place for sale!  LOL!  Please give advise!  To top it off I found a fledgling bird hanging out of a nest and (like a bird brain) I picked it up and tried to save it and of course got covered again in the walking freckles!  EEEeeeewwwww.  I can handle the ants and the bees and even the spiders (outside!) but this is too much!

-Amanda

Offline littlemama24

• Master
Re: How do I get rid of mites in the barn?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 03:57:06 PM »
Thanks for moving it!!!! ;D

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:17:17 PM »
I'd try dusting with Diatomaceous Earth.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:09:05 PM »
I second the Diatomaceous Earth.  You can get this definately at a garden store in a small container.  I got ours in a 50# bag at the feed store.  They had to order it in for me.  It was around $16 for the whole bag.  I have used it for mites in the chicken house, dusted the dog to keep ticks off, and I put it in my mineral to worm my cattle.  You can also put it behind your cabinets, washing machine, etc to prevent/ get rid of roaches/ants etc.  I have also used it with fair success in my garden for bug control.  Good Stuff!  And it is not poisonous.  If you are going to scatter quite a bit of it, I recommend using a dust mask, because from what I have read, it can be a lung irriatant.  But that would only make sense because it is a fine powder, like flour.
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 03:17:22 AM »
Thanks, I am going to try that.  I also have a bottle of spider mite spray for my roses that I never got around to using so I suppose if I feel I must, I could use that.  I can't wait to be able to enjoy the yard again!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 06:50:30 AM »
Here is a quote of mine from another thread that gives a lot of info about diatomaceous earth (DE) & a link to a company that IMO has the best DE:

Food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE)- NOT the DE for swimming pools, can be used in cracks & crevices & in carpets for fleas. A link for Perma-Guard is below but I wanted to throw in that IMO although Perma-Guard carries DE that has been mixed with 2 other chemicals to make it more effective against insects, for in the house use, I would use just the food grade DE. It is still effective against insects but it is also food safe & can be mixed w/grains to protect in in storage & given as a supplement to animals & people to prevent & treat for parasites. If a baby ingested some that was applied around the house, it would not hurt them if it was the DE sold for food.

Here's a quote from Perma-Guard's website:

From household pets to field crops, grain storage, and livestock feeding, Perma-Guard is Mother Nature's product for safely protecting us from pesky bugs, with no harm to the environment or to people !

Our company, Perma-Guard, Inc. is the original and largest supplier of food-grade diatomaceous earth products in the world. PERMA-GUARD is the trade name for a grade and quality of Diatomaceous Earth (DE). Actually, DE is not an earth. It is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS. When insects come in contact with DE, their shell is worn through and death is by dehydration. There is no survival and no immunity.

These products do not contain persistent chemicals harmful to the environment and to higher forms of life, to which insects become immune--it is an organic insecticide. Perma-Guard products are a much needed revolution for pest control.

Perma-Guard kills by physical action, not chemical -- by puncturing the insects exoskeleton and absorbing its body fluids, thus posing no harm to warm-blooded life. The addition of Pyrethrum and Piperonyl butoxide is to irritate the bug, causing physical action, allowing the DE to work more quickly. Birds who eat bugs get 14 extra trace minerals.

These products are certain death to insects. Moreover, on any surface, these natural pesticide products have a remarkable repellency factor. As long as it is present, insects tend to stay away, making a serious infestation unlikely. Also, the more it is used, the more an environment is created that tends to make insects feel unwelcome.

Perma-Guard, Inc. owns the patents acquired in 1962 for animal food additives and insecticides.

Here's the link:

Perma-Guard

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom