Author Topic: Favorite Cleaning Tips and Tricks Ever!  (Read 56581 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
Re: Favorite Cleaning Tips and Tricks Ever!
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2007, 03:50:56 PM »
Does anyone have suggestions for an old, white, countertop?  It has brown stains from my wet cast iron pots.  I have tried BS, vinegar, method all-purpose cleaner.  Anything to get stubborn stains that have been on there for months?

I would be tempted to try a baking soda/salt mixture and then full strength white distilled vinegar. It will have a fizzing action that can actually unclog a sluggish drain. Wonder if it will also remove those stains? I'm also wondering about hydrogen peroxide.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »
Have you tried bleach? 

DUH, no.  I don't have any.  I hate the smell of it, but I suppose it would be worth a shot. 

I would be tempted to try a baking soda/salt mixture and then full strength white distilled vinegar. It will have a fizzing action that can actually unclog a sluggish drain. Wonder if it will also remove those stains? I'm also wondering about hydrogen peroxide.

Okay, I just made a paste of baking soda and salt and mixed with a little peroxide.  Nothing.   :-\ So, I added some vinegar on it.....fizzed....I scrubbed....I think it looks a little bit lighter.  ??

We read a book this week with the kids on all the wondeful uses for pee.  So, I am seriously thinking about urinating on it at this point!!  :D

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2007, 04:17:09 PM »
We read a book this week with the kids on all the wondeful uses for pee.  So, I am seriously thinking about urinating on it at this point!!  :D

Okay, Hio, I love you and all, but we just are NOT going to have lunch at your house! :o
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2007, 06:34:29 PM »
Does anyone have suggestions for an old, white, countertop?  It has brown stains from my wet cast iron pots.  I have tried BS, vinegar, method all-purpose cleaner.  Anything to get stubborn stains that have been on there for months?

i used to use all fabric bleach for stuff like this.  clorox powder the color safe stuff.  worth a shot! 

or maybe Melaleuca's Sol-U-Mel?  i've heard it's great stuff. 

or possibly comet powder?  works for me for this sort of thing.

just thinking outloud....HTH.  :D 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2007, 03:03:06 AM »
I would try bon-ami with a little peroxide I think.  It won't scratch your countertops and the peroxide is supposed to whiten.  Comet has bleach already in it, but I'm afraid it might scratch. 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2007, 04:03:36 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies.  I really didn't want to have to buy any nasty chemicals, but I am desperate.  So, I am off to the dollar store!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2007, 04:47:40 AM »
Soft scrub with bleach will take koolaid and other stains off most countertops.  You could also just dilute some bleach in water in a squirt bottle and try that.  I don't use this stuff often, but I do use it for the really stubborn stains.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2007, 08:30:30 PM »
Soft scrub with bleach will take koolaid and other stains off most countertops.  You could also just dilute some bleach in water in a squirt bottle and try that.  I don't use this stuff often, but I do use it for the really stubborn stains.

I use cheap comet type cleanser which also has bleach occasionally (with the window wide open because bleach makes me sick) on my old white sink but bleach tends to set rust stains. Zud cleanser (oxalic acid) will take it right out. Do NOT mix the 2 types of cleanser, it will make a poisonous gas! HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2007, 03:55:31 AM »

Did you get it off?  If so, what eventually worked for you?

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2007, 07:32:53 AM »
The area where the hinges are on the toilet seat is the bane of my existence (well, that and plastic shower curtains)!Yuck! Any tips on cleaning that area?
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2007, 07:53:43 AM »
The area where the hinges are on the toilet seat is the bane of my existence (well, that and plastic shower curtains)!Yuck! Any tips on cleaning that area?
WR
toothbrush and baking soda work like a dream for the toilet.

Shower curtain - throw it in the washing machine.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »
Hmmm... The only question now is, who's toothbrush?  ;D
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

freshisbest

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2007, 08:19:47 AM »
For a white countertop I would use bleach. For anything white I use bleach!
For antique lace, or linens, soak in BIZ. You can soak for days if its really bad..but an antique dealer swears by it.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2007, 10:23:29 AM »
WR
toothbrush and baking soda work like a dream for the toilet.

Shower curtain - throw it in the washing machine.
Hmmm... The only question now is, who's toothbrush? ;D
WR

Well, if your mad at hubby.............. ;) ;) ;) ;) just kidding.

We use toothbrushes for scrubbing all the time. I usually buy those 8 for $1 tear up your gums but work great for scrubbing toothbrushes. If you use the ones that the family has worn out then I suggest marking them w/nail polish or something. We use our scrubbing ones in the bathroom a lot- they work great around faucets. If they are not marked & get left next to the sink & it just happens to look exactly like your child's toothbrush that you replaced last week.......... ::) ::) Not that it's EVER happened in MY house ::) ::) ::) yea, right. That's why I now buy cheap toothbrushes for cleaning that are a different style than the ones we use for brushing teeth.

As far as the plastic shower curtain- fabric shower curtains work great. Check this thread for more info:
Shower Curtain Alternatives
HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2007, 04:19:08 PM »

Did you get it off?  If so, what eventually worked for you?

Nothing has worked thus far!  :(  I tried bleach and it didn't even budge.  Was I suppose to use bleach straight?  I diluted it with warm water.  UGH!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »
Did you try the one herbalmom reccomended?
Zud cleanser (oxalic acid) will take it right out.
I had a rust stain on our old white sink at our old house and no amount of bleach will get rid of it.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2007, 04:31:42 PM »

No, just regular bleach.  I have never heard of Zud cleanser.  Where can you buy it?  I have not bought a chemical cleaner in like three years.  I am clueless with name brands.  Mine is a white countertop, not a sink, though.  Will that make a difference?

Offline hsmamafl

• Learning
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2007, 04:44:22 PM »

No, just regular bleach.  I have never heard of Zud cleanser.  Where can you buy it?  I have not bought a chemical cleaner in like three years.  I am clueless with name brands.  Mine is a white countertop, not a sink, though.  Will that make a difference?

I hadn't heard of Zud cleanser either until today on this thread.  I have the same problem with rust from my cast iron skillets on my counters so I am going to get some.  I saw online that it is available at Ace Hardware so that is probably where I will pick it up.  I also saw it on Amazon.

Michelle

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »
  I saw online that it is available at Ace Hardware so that is probably where I will pick it up.  I also saw it on Amazon.

Michelle

Okay, thanks for the tip, Michelle!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2007, 06:05:51 PM »

I hadn't heard of Zud cleanser either until today on this thread.  I have the same problem with rust from my cast iron skillets on my counters so I am going to get some.  I saw online that it is available at Ace Hardware so that is probably where I will pick it up.  I also saw it on Amazon.

I used to get Zud at the grocery store but I don't know if they still carry it. I only use it on rust stains so it lasts me a LONG time. Now that I think of it, I think that the last time I bought it I got it at ACE Hardware.

Yes, you can use it on counters. Zud contains oxalic acid which is why it works on rust. Bleach sets rust stains but oxalic acid takes it out. There are also liquid oxalic acid solutions that take rust out of fabric & carpet.

Now for some possible GOOD news. I was just looking for my Zud & it turns out that I'm out. I do have Bar Keepers Friend however & was looking at the label & it ALSO contains oxalic acid & works on rust. That's probably WHY I have it- the last time I went to buy Zud they didn't have it so I got to reading labels. To be honest, I don't even remember buying it. If I'm not mistaken, most GROCERY stores carry Bar Keepers Friend which will make it MUCH easier to find.  HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2007, 06:31:46 PM »
Zud contains oxalic acid which is why it works on rust.

Did you say oxalic acid?  Couldn't I just blend some spinach or rhubarb on it? LOL!  :D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2007, 07:03:26 PM »
Zud contains oxalic acid which is why it works on rust.

Did you say oxalic acid?  Couldn't I just blend some spinach or rhubarb on it? LOL!  :D

Sure, if  you want to add stubborn food stains to your stubborn rust stains. ;) ;) :P :P :P Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2007, 07:26:49 PM »
Anybody have any ideas for cleaning old tile?  This is SO nasty ... but, our house is 80 years old, and the previous owners were lifelong smokers ~ and from the looks of the tile & grout in our bathrooms, they must have done all their smoking in there, with the doors closed!  I have LITERALLY spent DAYS in there scrubbing (4 hours at a time), with every cleaner I could find, and the tile will LOOK clean and white, but my cleaning rag will ALWAYS get brown, like its down in the pores of the tile, or something.  I just hate that my family is stepping out of the tub onto this floor, for nicotine or whatever to seep up through their skin!  I know we just need to replace it, and that's on the to-do list....after the kitchen is done!  Any ideas in the mean-time?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2007, 08:03:28 PM »
Anybody have any ideas for cleaning old tile?  This is SO nasty ... but, our house is 80 years old, and the previous owners were lifelong smokers ~ and from the looks of the tile & grout in our bathrooms, they must have done all their smoking in there, with the doors closed!  I have LITERALLY spent DAYS in there scrubbing (4 hours at a time), with every cleaner I could find, and the tile will LOOK clean and white, but my cleaning rag will ALWAYS get brown, like its down in the pores of the tile, or something.  I just hate that my family is stepping out of the tub onto this floor, for nicotine or whatever to seep up through their skin!  I know we just need to replace it, and that's on the to-do list....after the kitchen is done!  Any ideas in the mean-time?

It IS in the pores. You get what's on the surface & what is deeper works it's way up so that the next time you get still more of it. A dry sponge MAY get a lot of it out, they are used to help get smoke damage out of things. To get dry sponges go to:
Don Aslett's Cleaning Center
You can ask questions on this site & they should be able to tell you something to use, my guess is they will tell you to use the dry sponge. If you use one the surface must be COMPLETELY dry- ANY water will ruin the sponge.

You may be able to seal it but I'm not sure what to use to do it with.  Contact this company & ask them:
American Formulating & Manufacturing
They are really good about answering questions & they have a whole line of non toxic paints, sealants, (including grout sealant) etc. I have used some of their products & were happy with them. You can can either send them an email from their web site or get their phone # from the site & call them. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2007, 03:05:47 AM »
We lived in an apartment where the previous resident had lived and smoked for 15 years!  It was cleaned, new carpet, new paint, but in the bathroom, the steam would bring out the nasty orangey nicotine gunk.  It just slowly seeped out through the walls!  Nothing to do, but just keep cleaning it!  Every couple of months I would wash down all of the walls and the ceiling.  It was so gross!   :P

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2007, 07:57:48 AM »
My local ACE hardware did not have Zud Cleaner.  Now what?  Any other stores?  Should I purchase on-line?

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2007, 08:02:19 AM »
I have read that some of the girls mentioned Bar Keeper's Friend.  My Mom insists that this is the BEST thing to hit the market.  I can't get it down here of course, but am having some sent to me.  Try it out, Healthy and see how it works.
Have a great day,
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2007, 08:05:35 AM »
Try it out, Healthy and see how it works.

I am willing to try anything at this point.  I want our counters spotless for when we put it on the market(hopefully this year) to sell.  Anyone interested in cold OHIO? LOL!!

Offline MotherOfBlessings

• Adept
  • Blessed beyond what I deserve!
    • My Homestead Blog
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2007, 08:08:42 AM »
I know it is not a natural product but Bar Keepers Friend rocks!!!  It takes off rust, scum, and even those grey marks that come from pans rubbing on the sink.  Makes it white and shiny. ;D  I really like it.  I get a big can cheaper at Lowes (home improvement store) than at WalMart  :o.  
Wife to SSgt. Cole, former USMC, now USNG
Homeschooling Mommy of 8 Blessings from the Lord

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2007, 09:15:47 AM »
My local ACE hardware did not have Zud Cleaner.  Now what?  Any other stores?  Should I purchase on-line?

Now for some possible GOOD news. I was just looking for my Zud & it turns out that I'm out. I do have Bar Keepers Friend however & was looking at the label & it ALSO contains oxalic acid & works on rust. That's probably WHY I have it- the last time I went to buy Zud they didn't have it so I got to reading labels. To be honest, I don't even remember buying it. If I'm not mistaken, most GROCERY stores carry Bar Keepers Friend which will make it MUCH easier to find. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom