Author Topic: Favorite Cleaning Tips and Tricks Ever!  (Read 56590 times)

Offline larisa

• Learning
Re: Favorite Cleaning Tips and Tricks Ever!
« Reply #240 on: November 01, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »
We just moved to Wisconsin, and are in a rental for a while.  Well, the basement here stunk, musky and wet smelling.  Come to find out it leaks.  Well, the smell is GONE!  We put a dehumidifier down there, which took care of the water, but the smell was still as strong as ever.  We bought a couple big bags of generic charcoal, and put them in ice cream buckets around the basement, and the smell is gone!  Simple, cheap and effective!

Interesting, i just checked mercola.com, and in one of his articles states that when purchasing a good air purifier you have to be sure it contains at least 15 lb of charcoals to grab chemicals circulating in the air. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:24:59 PM by larisa »

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #241 on: November 01, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »
Like Kingsford charcoal briquets?

Bump ??

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »
Like Kingsford charcoal briquets?

Bump ??

WR
I can't speak for Jenny4Wen, but I have used the cheap grilling charcoal briquets for deodorizing spaces and even a second hand fridge. Works like a charm if the source of the odor is removed first.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2009, 04:53:13 AM »
What would be a good alternative to bleach to soak kids toys in to clean/disinfect them? 

I have a bunch of plastic animals that I want to get all the germs off, since they're from a garage sale and my daughter chew on everything. :P  But I'd like to use something more natural than bleach. Any suggestions for something equall effective?

Thanks!

Offline miamama

• Adept
    • Picking Up Socks for Jesus
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2009, 06:04:05 AM »
What would be a good alternative to bleach to soak kids toys in to clean/disinfect them? 

I have a bunch of plastic animals that I want to get all the germs off, since they're from a garage sale and my daughter chew on everything. :P  But I'd like to use something more natural than bleach. Any suggestions for something equall effective?

Thanks!
A soak or spray down with white vinegar should do the trick.  If they are actually grimy you could add a drop of dish soap and some water to the vinegar, and scrub the toys.
Visit my blog   Picking Up Socks for Jesus
http://www.pickingupsocksforjesus.blogspot.com

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2009, 06:42:34 AM »
I would think that soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide solution would work also.   As long as your water is HOT soap and water should work though.  GSE is another option.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline littlewife

• Adept
« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:35 AM »
has anyone ever heard or read of boiling sheets? i was reading rilla of ingleside (for all of you anne of green gables fans) and in the book, boiling sheets in...oris root...or something...is mentioned. i don't have oris root, or whatever it was, but i've got lavender and i've got a ton of new little baby blankets and i'd like to soften them and make them smell all nice, and i know you boil cloth diapers, so i was wondering if the same principle worked for fleece or cotton baby blankets and sheets and all that cute stuff. any ideas?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2009, 12:21:58 PM »
has anyone ever heard or read of boiling sheets? i was reading rilla of ingleside (for all of you anne of green gables fans) and in the book, boiling sheets in...oris root...or something...is mentioned. i don't have oris root, or whatever it was, but i've got lavender and i've got a ton of new little baby blankets and i'd like to soften them and make them smell all nice, and i know you boil cloth diapers, so i was wondering if the same principle worked for fleece or cotton baby blankets and sheets and all that cute stuff. any ideas?

Here's a link to some more information and history on the use of orris root.  Seems that it's used to perfume things. 

Orris Root

Just about all fabrics contain sizing or a resin-like coating.  This accounts for the fabric holding it's shape or being stiff.  I usually wash all new clothing and fabrics with a couple of cups of vinegar in the wash water to remove this coating due to my allergy to it.   I buy only natural fiber clothing and fabrics, and they are extremely soft after this one wash.  I don't know if this would work on fleece, as it's usually made of synthetic materials.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #248 on: July 11, 2009, 05:20:05 PM »
I'm assuming Lavendar essential oil? the only thing about oils is that the smell goes away w/ heat so like if you put EO's in your wash and then dry them...they don't smell like your EO's anymore...I would imagine boiling would do the same thing? ? I would think the vinegar would soften things as well! As far as smelly pretty naturally....maybe wash with EO's and line dry? :)

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #249 on: September 04, 2009, 08:08:43 AM »
Hi Moms!  I really need a cleaning trick to rescue my dining room table.  It is wood with some sort of finish on it.  It is starting to get really "gummy"  :P  I wipe it with warm water after every meal but it just isn't doing the trick.   When we do our school work the papers often stick to it  :(
I tried dawn soap to get some of the built up gunk off but I think it may have taken off some of the finish.  Does any one have a good tip to use on a regular basis? Thank you!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #250 on: September 04, 2009, 09:05:55 AM »
If it is a real wood table, try mayonnaise. Yes, mayo, really. The mayo helps a lot on water marks, but I have done it for other things too.  Polish it in and work it off.  Here is an additional website to help you out.

http://www.diynetwork.com/decorating/polishing-wood-furniture/index.html

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
The mayo trick sounds pretty good - I've heard of people having good success with it as a conditioner.  However, to get rid of the sticky build up, I would try a deep cleaning first.
Try mixing one part white vinegar to one part water and wipe down the table completely. Then to rinse, wipe the table down with clean water and a clean cloth. Let it dry completely.
You could also use full strength Murphy's Oil Soap the same way. It's a good cleaner and works well in my experience.

Depending on how much build up you have, you may have to repeat the process. Once the sticky residue is removed, apply a wood wax that repels water and stains to the surface for protection.
HTH!  :)
Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else!

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »
Thank you ladies....new ideas always get me excited!
The website showed part olive oil and vinegar.  This may work to get the residue off as well.  Either way I will be using vinegar since I don't have any of the "normal" wood products on hand. Thanks again.
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2010, 04:44:24 PM »
InEverything, you probably solved your gummy wood table problem but for others, I wanted to suggest hot water with black tea and a bit of dish soap, then wash again with clear water to rinse.  Works on wood floors, too.