Author Topic: SuperMom as Prenatal & Safety in Pregnancy  (Read 24303 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: SuperMom as Prenatal & Safety in Pregnancy
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2006, 05:53:59 AM »
This is a common problem with many prenatals.  So common, someone told me the best way to take them while pregnant is to have hubby do the dirty work.  ;)

Hubby you open the bottle away from wifey in another room.  Take the dosage needed out of the bottle for her and put them on a clean plate or saucer.  Close the bottle and wash your hands.  Take the plate to wifey to quickly scoop them up and down the hatch.  This minimizes the amount of smell that uber smellers associated with pregnancy will be exposed to.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline musicmommy

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2006, 11:29:31 AM »
I am almost 7 weeks pregnant and I'm taking "Supermom", "Bone Ami", cod liver oil, coconut oil, red raspberry tea, and "Tummy Tune Up"  I don't feel pregnant yet...no fatigue (yet, at least), no bloating, no nausea, etc.  Has anyone else experienced this while on these supplements?  I just remember being newly pregnant with my 14 month old son...I was SO tired and nauseated.   I'm also not craving sweets like I did with my 1st baby.  I realize it's still early and all these symptoms can still hit, but I feel great.  I'm so thankful for that!  My HCG levels are great, so that's comforting to me.  Just wondering if all you other pregnant ladies have experienced this too.

ps. should i be taking anything else, besides a well-rounded diet?

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2006, 11:51:46 AM »
LOL
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2006, 12:10:49 PM »
I took them while pregnant but didn't have a problem with the odor. I am not one who gets easily sick or one who has a hard time swallowing mammoth horse pills so.... they weren't a problem for me!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2006, 12:34:04 PM »
The smell bothers me a little but I just put them down. I am not pregnant though. Based on previous experience I would guess that if I was I would have to fight the "pukey" feeling. I like the idea of having dh open the bottle. That IS the worst part.

BTW I thought this thread was going to be about odors caused by the supermoms. I take one sort of every other day and dh can always tell if I do. He says my breath smells funny by the end of the day. Not nasty just different. I can sort of taste something too. Not bad but not delicious either. I don't think it is detox, so what is this?

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2006, 12:39:46 PM »
I would like a smaller pill, would these new pills be smaller? Somedays I have trouble swallowing the large pills. The smell can get to me but I never started taking them until morning sickness had past already so I don't know if it would of made it harder during that time. I'm thinking it would have because I was very sensitive to smells in the beginning.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline BlessedWith4

• ~Blessings~
  • Adept
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
Hmmm...Dunno! I just ordered a pack of Supermom and Superdad together and this will be the first time we've taken these things, so I'll let ya know after we get 'em!

I'm halfway through this pregnancy and still pretty sensitive to smell, etc. - so this ought to be interesting!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2006, 03:33:55 PM »
the smell is a little distasteful, but I'm not pregnant, either, and I am usually VERy SENSITIVE to any bad smell when pregnant!!

Offline naewood

• Adept
    • Sunset Acres Rat Terriers
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2006, 06:20:59 PM »
I don't have trouble with the odor, but am not pregnant either.  My problem is with the size.  I usually can take a handful of pills without any trouble.  But one SM and it gags me just going down.   ???  Getting the second one down is harder!  Then I usually get a little nauseated after taking them.  It lasts about 1/2 hour and then I am fine.  I have tried them in the morning before breakfast and after breakfast, but I get the same results.  I have considered cutting them in half and trying them that way.  I don't have any trouble with the evening primrose or the omega balance capsules.  Just my experience.
RW

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2006, 10:49:50 PM »
SuperMom is a big pill and that's another complaint of Steph's. I pretty sure the capsules would be smaller.
Any health info, or dosage recommendations are strictly my opinion and are not to be construed as the opinion or recommendation of Beeyoutiful.com unless otherwise stated.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2006, 07:29:31 AM »
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2353.0.html

Some people discuss the size issue here.
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2006, 07:53:07 AM »
Hehe, my five year old son always asks to smell my SMs and then loudly declares, "Fishfood!".

Yeah, they stink like seaweed, but I'd rather take 2 than 4. I would still order the tabs. Taking them with juice instead of water helps. Also, I take them right before I eat, so breakfast soon covers it up. My two cents.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Gabriel

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2006, 08:13:26 AM »
I for one would buy capsules.  It is more expensive but I think it would be worth it. I have tried to take the Supermom's that I have but they gag me and end up in the sink rather in my stomach. The smell, the size and that you have to take two all cause me to not mind having to pay a little extra.  I find it easier to swallow capsules and the smell would be gone, I imagine.  Count me in if you decide to go this route! 

Gabriel

Offline JesusIsKing

• Learning
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2006, 09:37:09 AM »
I actually like the smell of the SuperMom and I like taking two of the bigger pills at the better price than taking more smaller ones at a more expensive price.  My idea would be to make a version of the SuperMom and SuperDad called SuperYoungLady and SuperYoungMan (or SuperGirl and SuperBoy would be shorter).  I have tried to get my 13 year old daughter to take the SuperMom and she just can't swallow them because of the size.  She is able to swallow a regular size herb capsule though, so I think the capsule size you are referring to would work for her.  For adults that can't take the regular SuperMom or SuperDad, they could take double the dose of this version for young adults.  Just an idea!
She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness ~ Proverbs 31:26

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2006, 12:20:08 PM »
smell, size, neither one bother me.  I pop them both at once and down they go. And b/f someone else says it for me.........guess I have a big mouth.  ::)  My husband actually likes the taste and will suck on it a minute b/f he swallows.  Now that is WEIRD.  :D

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2006, 01:43:03 PM »
Wow, it seems that a lot of people have trouble swallowing pills. Here are a couple tips. They won't help with the smell but they may help you simply get pills down, if that's the problem.

If it's a capsule it will have some air in it so put it in your mouth, add water, and then look at your feet. The air will cause the capsule to float up, to the back of your mouth where you can swallow it easily.

If it's solid pill or a liquid-filled gelcap it will usually sink. So put it in your mouth, add water, and then look up so that it will sink to the back of your throat where it can be swallowed without much trouble.

Sorry if I'm repeating common knowledge, but I didn't know until someone told me, so I thought I'd share. I haven't had to use these methods since the day it dawned on me that a forkful or spoonful of food, even after chewing, is often larger than two or three normal-sized pills. Then I just started thinking of pills as food, once they went in my mouth, and now I have no trouble swallowing multiple pills at once -even while pregnant (my gag reflex goes into hyperdrive when pregnant).

WR

Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2006, 10:04:23 AM »
I put my supplements in one of those pill minder thingys with all the little doors. (Sorry if this is too technical.)  I have 28 days of SuperMoms & other stuff in there.  Mine don't stink when I take them.  BUT, I just got my new order of them, opened the top to see what all the fuss was about & got a good, fresh wiff.  Now I remember!  They do smell.  We call it 'weedy' around here.  But my ones in the pill minder don't anymore.  So, The Man and I think that if you dumped out the bottle into an open box or something, put it on a shelf in the closet or garage or someplace the kids won't eat them, and let them air out, the stink is gone and you can re-bottle them and keep on using them.

Worth a try in my opinion.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2006, 10:12:13 AM »
I just received some SM today and, because of this thread, the first thing I did after I opened them was to smell them.  :D

I like the smell and so does my dd. It reminds me of the smell of a "seed and feed" store, which in don't happen to find unpleasant. But my ds took a whiff and said it smells like dog food. LOL! I disagree.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2006, 03:12:49 PM »
BTW, my wife reminded me of this and it has been mentioned before, but when you really NEED what is in spirulina, it smells and tastes REALLY good. Steph had this experience with a spirulina drink just a few weeks ago. She was really dragging, had just had a lot of blood drawn, got the drink, loved it and drank about half. A few days later she tried to drink it again and couldn't even get a sip down. So there is that aspect to this too. Probably only a factor for those just starting on SuperMom though.
Any health info, or dosage recommendations are strictly my opinion and are not to be construed as the opinion or recommendation of Beeyoutiful.com unless otherwise stated.

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2006, 04:47:11 PM »
Ok, so I took my Supermoms to my ob today and didn't get positive feedback from her.
She said that she there hasn't been much scientific research done on many herbs so it could be risky for one to take them while pregnant if they don't know how it'll affect them.  AND she said that it looked like it could be too much Vitamin A for a pregnant woman.  Too much isn't a good thing.  So, overall, she gave me a thumbs down to taking them during pregnancy.  (But had no problem with taking them after.)

WELL, I'd say I opened a can of worms with this post.  I'm a believer in herbs, even though I'm new to them, simply because it is a natural creation of God.  I really like my doctor.  I had 2 wonderful birthing experiences through her and her practice.  
Sooooooooo, what would y'all recommend?  Most of you'd probably take them anyway, right?  Does anyone have any thoughts on her Vitamin A comment?  Maybe I'll do a little research right now.

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2006, 05:49:31 PM »
Ok, so I took my Supermoms to my ob today and didn't get positive feedback from her.
She said that she there hasn't been much scientific research done on many herbs so it could be risky for one to take them while pregnant if they don't know how it'll affect them.  AND she said that it looked like it could be too much Vitamin A for a pregnant woman.  Too much isn't a good thing.  So, overall, she gave me a thumbs down to taking them during pregnancy.  (But had no problem with taking them after.)

WELL, I'd say I opened a can of worms with this post.  I'm a believer in herbs, even though I'm new to them, simply because it is a natural creation of God.  I really like my doctor.  I had 2 wonderful birthing experiences through her and her practice.  
Sooooooooo, what would y'all recommend?  Most of you'd probably take them anyway, right?  Does anyone have any thoughts on her Vitamin A comment?  Maybe I'll do a little research right now.
Your doc was probably looking at the dangers of too much vitamin A causing birth defects.  (Cranial deformities, cleft lip/palate, heart defects...)   These are suppose to be related to more than 10,000 IU of vitamin A per day.  A small portion of liver (3oz.) would give you about 30,000 IU. 

Well, what I found to be the daily dose of vitamin A for pregnant women is 4,000 to 8,000 IU, OR take it as Beta-Carotene.  Supermom is in beta-carotene form.  Also, I noticed the ingredients are listed as "per serving" and the serving is 2 caps.  So, one cap would contain half of what is listed.  So the vitamin A would only be 5,000 IU, not 10,000.  If it were me, I would compare the ingredients for one cap of Supermom with other prenatals.  It looks like Supermom has a lot more of everything than what is usually recommended anyway.  I'll do some more looking and see if I come up with anything that looks like it says anything to the contrary...  I want to check out the other ingredients anyway.  Only taking one- folate would only be 200mcg, which is probably only half of what the doc wants you to have.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 06:08:53 PM by miff aka Missi »

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2006, 09:44:54 PM »

Does anyone have any thoughts on her Vitamin A comment?  Maybe I'll do a little research right now.

There is a common mis perception among even Dr.'s and other health experts who are not familiar with supplements that Vitamin A and Pro Vitamin A or Beta Carotene are the same thing.  Vitamin A can be toxic when taken in too high a quantities because it is fat soluble, not water soluble.  Pro Vitamin A otherwise known as Beta Carotene (which is the all natural form found in SuperMom) is the building block the body uses to make it's own Vitamin A.  It is water soluble and whatever the body doesn't use is simply flushed away without causing any harm.

Most Dr.'s do not have the time or inclination to keep up with what research has been done on herbs on the natural healthcare front because it is not their area of expertise. (Or, quite honestly the area in which they make their money.)    We have had several Chiropractors, Midwives, a Pharmacist and a couple of Dr.'s that I know of personally give their stamp of approval for the use of SuperMom while pregnant.  This is not to say that you should disregard in anyway what your personal and trusted Dr. has advised you.  :) This is why we so strongly encourage people to research for themselves off the beaten bath of traditional medicine.

Regardless of what you decide regarding SuperMom I hope you have lots of fun learning new information as you research!  ;D  I love it when I see people willing to take the time to search out answers for themselves.
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2006, 05:23:41 AM »
This is why we so strongly encourage people to research for themselves off the beaten bath of traditional medicine.

I have to disagree here.  I think herbs are the traditional medicine and the medical community is the one going off the beaten path - essentially using us for their guinea pigs in their own research.  Either way, you are so right in stating that it is up to us to do our own research.  Personally, I don't trust doctors or the government with my health any more than I would trust my toddler to safely cook dinner.  By the way, I love Supermom and I did research it myself....even going so far as to bug you with detailed questions about the sources of many ingredients, which you kindly answered.   Try getting the other guys to do that!!  You guys are awesome!  ~L

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2006, 06:00:02 AM »
Also, from the research I've read, the studies linking vitamin A to birth defects were done using synthetic forms of vitamin A and yet the results were applied to all vitamin A (and liver often being specifically mentioned when liver was never used in the studies).

I know your question was about the vitamin A in Super Mom and that is the beta carotene form, but I keep reading that people are avoiding certain foods because of "the studies" and I just don't want people to be so afraid of traditional, high vitamin, foods. If you eat liver or other animal products containing high levels of vitamin A you are doing nothing more than what pregnant women all over the word, down through the ages have done, and been encouraged to do (until recently), to ensure good health for themselves and their babies. (They ate A LOT of liver while pregnant and so they got WAY over the currently recommended levels of vitamin A!)

There have been no studies, that I have seen, that link even fat soluble (animal sources) vitamin A to any ill effects on mother or child.

WR
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 06:16:09 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2006, 10:10:27 AM »
Also, from the research I've read, the studies linking vitamin A to birth defects were done using synthetic forms of vitamin A and yet the results were applied to all vitamin A (and liver often being specifically mentioned when liver was never used in the studies).

WR
I put the info about liver so people could see that food (natural) can actually have more vitamin A than what doctors recommend.  I've never heard a doctor say, "Now, don't eat liver.  It has too much vitamin A."  I would think that any synthetic vitamin would not be so good for your body.     

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2006, 10:59:35 AM »
Oh, that post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I didn't mean it to seem like a rebuttal of someone else's post, just wanted to add more info on the subject of vitamin A and "studies".

But there are actually doctors and other official-type folks saying that, because of these studies, pregnant women should avoid liver, liver oil, etc. because of the high vitamin A content. It used to be that doctors encouraged women to eat more liver during pregnancy (around two or three times a week) and there is no record of a lot of blind and deformed babies resulting. But now they are saying that if you eat any liver at all during pregnancy, you shouldn't eat more than a few bites every once in a blue moon.  ::)
Who Needs God?

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »
Wow, lot's of great info.
Thanks ladies.  I'll keep researching and talk to dh.  Maybe one supermom a day.  I think I just need to pray about it.
Thank you everyone.

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2006, 05:55:21 PM »
Oh, that post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I didn't mean it to seem like a rebuttal of someone else's post, just wanted to add more info on the subject of vitamin A and "studies".

But there are actually doctors and other official-type folks saying that, because of these studies, pregnant women should avoid liver, liver oil, etc. because of the high vitamin A content. It used to be that doctors encouraged women to eat more liver during pregnancy (around two or three times a week) and there is no record of a lot of blind and deformed babies resulting. But now they are saying that if you eat any liver at all during pregnancy, you shouldn't eat more than a few bites every once in a blue moon.  ::)
I didn't feel like it was aimed at me.  Sometimes I need to learn to explain myself fully.  Then folks wouldn't have to go along behind me and "clean up" after me.  KWIM?  ;)

I didn't know doctors DO advise women to avoid liver during pregnancy.  It's been 7 years since I've had a baby.  Has this changed since then?  Seems quite ridiculous to me.  Not that I like liver. :P

Offline AbbaJava

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2006, 09:06:20 AM »
Hi, My name is Jill and this is my fourth pregnancy, and so far the best.  I owe that to Supermom Vitamins.  I am not tired at all.  And after having abnormal pap test for five years, I finally had a normal result.  The test was given after I had been taking the Supermoms for a month.  I am so happy and thankful for the chance to have great nutrition.

Offline DaysofGrace

• Learning
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2007, 03:46:04 PM »
I am 13 wks pregnant with my fourth baby. I am considering getting some Supermom vitamins, but I just wonder about how everyone says they detox when they take it. NDs have always cautioned me against doing a cleanse while nursing for fear it affecting the baby. I can't imagine it would be good to detox while pregnant? But I really would like to take the greens in Supermom for their energy producing properties as well as the many other health benefits. Can someone put my mind at ease?

Thanks.

Paloma